[vlc-devel] How to do fullscreen in 1.1.x with libvlc API

Rémi Denis-Courmont remi at remlab.net
Tue Nov 9 15:26:31 CET 2010

On Mon, 8 Nov 2010 17:54:54 -0500, Jacques Boileau <jboileau at gmail.com>
wrote:
> I believe the fullscreen mode has changed in 1.1.x. If I call the full
> screen API of libvlc nothing happens.

I have not tested it but it should work just fine provided the video is
_not_ embedded into another widget.
Of course, if it is embedded, the full screen flag will have no effects
because:
 - on X11: the window managers does not track non-top windows,
 - on Win32: the LibVLC "drawable" plugin does not implement full screen
toggle at all.

> I read the documentation that talks of reparenting the window

On X11, the embedding window must be a top window at the time full screen
mode is requested. To that end, that window must be re-parented to the
root. And yes, I am paraphrasing the documentation, because there really
are only so many ways to explain this.

> but can't seem to understand what I should do.
> Any help in getting fullscreen mode back in my libvlc based
> application under win32 would be greatly appreciated.

With Win32, full screen mode must be implemented directly in the
application if libvlc_media_player_set_hwnd() was used.

http://www.remlab.net
http://fi.linkedin.com/in/remidenis