[vlc-devel] Flamebait: PulseAudio removal

Rafaël Carré rafael.carre at gmail.com
Sun Nov 28 21:21:58 CET 2010

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/karmic/+source/pulseaudio/+bug/424655 ?

> * The VLC PulseAudio plugin seems(?) unmaintained.

That's my impression too

> * PulseAudio itself is largelly unmaintained. Lennart Poettering
> decided to reinvent a more interesting wheel, in the form of systemd.

in
https://tango.0pointer.de/pipermail/pulseaudio-discuss/2010-November/008286.html
which marks the 0.9.22 release he "hope[s] to do more PA work again" so
we could wait a bit and see how it goes

> Of course, if we remove PulseAudio, we have to make sure we don't end
> up using it through OSS or ALSA, as the PulseAudio emulation of those
> is complete crap and not going to be fixed. Not to worry, this is
> pretty trivial as long as PulseAudio is run by the user session:
>
> 	/* PulseAudio hijacks ALSA and OSS defaults. Kill it. */
> 	system("killall pulseaudio");

I think it's quite evil but OTOH i don't know how else to bypass PA
emulation

--
Rafaël Carré