[vlc-devel] Please us this to solve #3950 (Font cache is constantly rebuilt)

David Glaude david.glaude at gmail.com
Tue Nov 30 01:07:44 CET 2010

Le 29 novembre 2010 19:57, Rémi Denis-Courmont <remi at remlab.net> a écrit :
> Le lundi 29 novembre 2010 20:25:12 David Glaude, vous avez écrit :
>> However, at one point VLC try (without success) to open the folowing file:
>> R:\SERVER\users$\myname\Application
>> Data\vlc\ef9c9ad8cc5857eb63cb3660bc8bd202-i686.cache-3
>
> AFAICT, this is coming straight from SHGetFolderPath(CSIDL_APPDATA);

Do you know what VLC use to choose where to store those 3 files:
"vlc-qt-interface.ini", "vlcrc" and "ml.xspf"?
Somehow it does not use the same trick as for the font cache file...
or at least it does not give the same result. ;-)

>> So my guess is that at one point in time VLC (or the font stuff used
>> by VLC) does confuse the UNC of my %appdata% with the R:\ of the
>> location where my "media file" is located... and mix both.
>
> This code path is definitely not dependent on the media file. I could imagine
> that it would depend on the current working drive, but even that is a bit far
> fetched.

I know this is odd, and I have no clue on why VLC decided to use R: (a
local partition) on my system.
VLC also seems to search some DLL next to my "media file".
I don't know what happen when some double click on a file associated to VLC.

One thing seems obvious from the forum, those not having %appdata%
using UNC have no problem.
And they have absolutely no problem when the %appdata% start with C:
where C: is likely the place where VLC is installed.

David Glaude