[vlc-devel] Q: handling an experimental version

Riccardo Bernardini riccardo.bernardini at uniud.it
Tue Oct 5 11:23:15 CEST 2010

Dear all,
here at the University of Udine we are working on an experimental
overlay multicast  protocol for streaming data.  Let me skip all the
motivations, why it is different from anything else and why it is so
cool.  Just take my word for it and let me go to the question. :-)

The first pre-release of our software is almost ready and we would
like to interface it with VLC.  We would do this both for testing our
software (and this would not be a problem), but also we would like to
make available our "experimental" version, so to have some feedback
about it.  Since we do not want to pollute the VLC source with our
experimental code, I would like to ask you suggestions on how to
handle this "experimental branch."  We would like, if possible, to
keep it synchronized with the main development branch.

I know that VLC has modules, but I do not think that our code could be
included by adding a new module.   Let me briefly explain the changes
we plan to apply

   * The first change will be in the SDP parsing part.  SDP will be
adapted to our protocol by defining a new transport protocol (we are
working to have this published by IETF).  Say that instead of having
"RTP/AVP" on the media (m=) line you have something like
"RTP/AVP/Coolest-protocol-ever" :-).

   * The SDP parser will recognize the new transport protocol and will
call a suitable function to open the connection.

   * The called function will do a lot of works internally and it will
return an integer value that represents an UDP socket.

Maybe the part that opens the connection and returns an UDP socket
could be coded as a module, but I am afraid that the new transport
protocol could not be added to the SDP parser with an additional
module and that we will need to modify directly the SDP module.  Maybe
a second, alternative SDP module?  I do not know...

Any suggestions?

Thank you

Riccardo

PS: By the way, if you want to "absorb" our code in the main branch,
we have no objection to it; however, I think that it would be better
to wait for a more stable version of our software.

--
Riccardo Bernardini
DIEGM -- University of Udine