[vlc-devel] [RFC] Bug severity definitions

Rémi Denis-Courmont remi at remlab.net
Thu Oct 14 17:05:28 CEST 2010

	Hello,

I am totally fed up with arguments on Trac about what severity (and/or
priority) a bug should have. And I know I am not the only one.

To cut it short, I would like to propose definitions for severities. We can
post them on the Trac wiki and the normal wiki too. Unfortunately, there is no
way to cut all discussions, other than by blocking normal users from changing
the field. And I guess Trac can't do that.

blocker
Blocker for development. E.g. build breakage on most platforms, systematic
crash at startup or when playing any file input.

critical
Blocker for releasing. E.g. security issue, crash in most basic and common use
cases (i.e. more than 50% of user base), crash at exit.

major
Basic feature not working. E.g. inputs other than file not working, file
format or codec not rendered

normal
Expert feature not working. E.g. stream output problem, specific configuration
option. Feature requests.

minor
Problem that can be worked around easily or is really unimportant.

trivial
Typing error. Self-explanatory bugfixes. Compiler warnings with no other
consequences.

As for priorities, I would really like to REMOVE them. They make sense in
agile organizations, where some managers can decide what to work on first. Not
here.

http://www.remlab.net/
http://fi.linkedin.com/in/remidenis