[vlc-devel] Figured out streaming issues and why youtube works better than VLC player

Tony Anecito adanecito at yahoo.com
Mon Oct 18 10:13:11 CEST 2010

Hi Remi,

Thanks for the quick response. I verified that youtube is storing the video by
deleting my internet explorer temp files then when replaying the video the
lighter red progress bar in the middle of the slider is gone when first playing
the video and if I did not delete the temp internet files the light red bar in
the middle of the slider is present and spans the entire length of the slider in
the youtube page.

I am using Windows 7 by the way.

How do I increase the size of the input stream buffer from within vlc 1.5
luggage dated 2010 10/18? Are you talking about the http cache time?

Also you mention a recent VLC update yet I have the latest vlc nightly. I did
notice in the area of the QT4 GUI when vlc is running where rate and time is
displayed that it seems to get a background progress color when VLC seems to
re-buffer after a pts issue.

I am thinking to default values of VLC after an install are great for files and
smaller streaming videos but with HD or HQ streaming they will not work very
well. So I am just trying to find a set of values for vlc for HD & HQ for my
system and network that work well.

Regards,
-Tony