[vlc-devel] Apple AppStore infringing VLC media player license

Rafaël Carré rafael.carre at gmail.com
Tue Oct 26 11:13:51 CEST 2010

On Tue, 26 Oct 2010 10:53:52 +0200
Rémi Denis-Courmont <remi at remlab.net> wrote:

> On Tue, 26 Oct 2010 10:10:21 +0200, Rafaël Carré
> <rafael.carre at gmail.com> wrote:
> >> But it seems that people are now accounting ME responsible for
> >> this, evidently including the people who censored me as of today.
> >> This is entirely intolerable. I am not the one who took the risks
> >> of violating copyright here.
> >
> > I agree Apple is not being nice to free software with platform
> > lock-down but I think you should have worded your message
> > differently and *demanded* GPL-compatible distribution terms.
>
> That's what I did in the mail I sent to them (I can copy it to you
> privately if you want). That's also quite clear from the answer I
> gave to Mac Generation (upon their request). Unfortunately perhaps,
> they decided to translate my RSS feed instead of quoting my answer -
> so much for wasting my time...

Well I don't expect much from journalists ;)

> > Your message can be read as a troll too easily since you seem to
> > expect only VLC removal from AppStore (i also expect this but
> > utopia doesn't harm).
>
> Sorry but I am only being realistic here. Why would Apple change their
> terms for a single application? Why would they behave differently
> than they did with GNU Go?

I expect VLC is much more popular than GNU Go and could generate more
momentum wrt Apple / FLOSS relationship

> Someone even told me, Apple would actually
> like to get rid of VLC (of course, I can't verify this).

Well if it was the case they could have not distributed it at all in
the first place

> But more importantly, why am *I* censored defending my copyright? Why
> aren't those who were advertising VLC on iPad censored instead, uh?
> Copyright violation is surely much more controversial than copyright
> enforcement.

I dunno if it is censorship, probably just lack of communication

--
Rafaël Carré