[vlc-devel] Formal complaint - censorship

Romain Goyet r.goyet at gmail.com
Tue Oct 26 12:10:33 CEST 2010

Rémi,

A few things :

 - First, everyone know what you did. Including yourself, obviously.
Your post on planet.videolan.org was meant to be understood as a PR
from VideoLAN. While clearly it is not. It's your only your own
personnal feeling. So go post that on your own personal blog.

 - Now I really don't get all the hatred. MobileVLC is licensed under
GPLv2. All the sourcecode is open, and _anyone_ can download the
source and tinker with it. Now _some people_ assert that Apple
distributing an app is a violation of the GPL. This remains to be
proved.

 - Last, but not least : in the "spirit" of the GPL, I really can't
see where things don't work. Sources are open, anyone can modify,
rebuild, and run. For instance, if the app was submitted on a
"jailbroken appstore" like Cydia, the deal wouldn't be any
different...

 - Romain