[vlc-devel] Apple AppStore infringing VLC media player license

Felix Paul Kühne fkuehne.videolan at googlemail.com
Tue Oct 26 12:26:27 CEST 2010

Am 26.10.2010 um 12:18 schrieb salsaman <salsaman at gmail.com>:

> Rémi,
> although this is the first time I have become aware of this, I agree
> with you 100%. If Apple are distributing vlc under terms which
> contradict the GPL then they should cease and desist immediately.
>
> In fact, since some of my own code is now included in vlc, *I hereby
> demand that vlc and/or Apple stop distributing my code under terms
> which are incompatible with the GNU GPL*

It would really help the discussion if you could disclose details where Apple's license and the GPLv2 contradict.

I guess we all know that the GPLv3 is incompatible due to the TiVo clauses, but at least I don't wrt version 2.

Without valid sources, providing binaries on the AppStore is just simplifying the use of VLC just like providing binaries for any other platform. Retrieving the sources and modify them works easily. Additionally, both the license and the location of the source code is clearly shown in the app.

Best regards,

Felix