[vlc-devel] Apple AppStore infringing VLC media player license

Ross Finlayson finlayson at live555.com
Tue Oct 26 14:58:39 CEST 2010

>  > "The primary problem is that Apple imposes numerous legal restrictions
>>  on use and distribution of GNU Go through the iTunes Store Terms of
>>  Service, which is forbidden by section 6 of GPLv2" -
>>  http://www.fsf.org/news/2010-05-app-store-compliance
>>
>>  This is rather vague. Seems like even the FSF has no clue.
>
>Ping?
>
>Precise requirements would be nice.

The FSF's follow-up page here
	http://www.fsf.org/news/blogs/licensing/more-about-the-app-store-gpl-enforcement
gives some more details about why GNU GPL'd applications (like GNU
Go, and now VLC) cannot be distributed by Apple's "App Store".

I support Remi in his complaint.

If Apple will not loosen their rules so as to allow VLC to be
distributed in their App Store, then I hope that it can be made
available in "Cydia" (or some other unrestricted App Store) instead.

	Ross.