[vlc-devel] Formal complaint - censorship

Rafaël Carré rafael.carre at gmail.com
Tue Oct 26 22:26:47 CEST 2010

On Tue, 26 Oct 2010 21:53:43 +0200
Pierre Ynard <linkfanel at yahoo.fr> wrote:

> But it seems that the "grey area" about licensing turned out to be
> an issue after all. So should VideoLAN try to save the situation by
> supporting the fight against Apple's license? Should we simply ask
> that they change their license, instead of just suggesting removal
> like Rémi's post does?

I think we should do this.

Apparently VLC is the #1 downloaded application on AppStore, so I bet
Apple sees VLC availability as an advantage.
Also remember that the opponent Google has no VLC on Android (yet)!

Since the first strike was made by Rémi, I think he should make it
clear that he prefers Apple to change its distributions term to
something compatible with our license.

On Tue, 26 Oct 2010 10:53:52 +0200
Rémi Denis-Courmont <remi at remlab.net> wrote:

> Sorry but I am only being realistic here. Why would Apple change their
> terms for a single application? Why would they behave differently
> than they did with GNU Go? Someone even told me, Apple would actually
> like to get rid of VLC (of course, I can't verify this).

I think it is worth trying, we do have some power.

And I do not expect Apple to change their terms only for VLC but for
the whole market.

What do you think of making clear that you would prefer Apple to change
their terms, and only if they fail this that they stop distributing VLC?

If you do that, the VideoLAN team should state (on www.v.o) that they
support you in your effort and want Apple to relax their terms.
(unless someone in the team disagrees with this?)

--
Rafaël Carré