[vlc-devel] Apple AppStore infringing VLC media player license

salsaman salsaman at gmail.com
Thu Oct 28 13:44:16 CEST 2010

I have sent the following response for now. I hope not offend anybody.

Hello Richard,
thankyou for your email and show of support. I should state first of
all that I am in no way a representative of the VLC project, in fact
my part in that particular project is very minor indeed. I was simply
reporting the facts of the matter as I read and understood them at the
time.

About the quote, it was not made by me but by one of the VLC team
members, so it does not reflect my personal choice of wording which
would have been more along the lines you suggest.

Regarding the supposed disagreement, from what I gather it was mainly
about the manner in which the issue was raised in public and also
about the precise legal interpretation of the Apple licensing terms.
There seems to be some debate as to whether these are consistent with
the GPL or not. I cannot comment on this since I am not a lawyer.

I believe there will be a meeting on friday during which the issue
will be discussed. I will not be attending the meeting, but I have
made my views clear, which is that my contributions to the project
were made under the GPL only and may not be relicensed.

If I hear any more news regarding the issue I will let you know, but
in the meantime I consider it best to wait for an official statement
from the VLC team.

Regards,

Salsaman.