[vlc-devel] Apple AppStore infringing VLC media player license

Stephen Norman stenorman2001 at me.com
Sun Oct 31 05:46:29 CET 2010

Apologies for bringing this up again and I just wanted to add my two cents here.

Firstly, why is everyone blaming Apple for this violation? Aren't Applidium the distributers of this app as they submitted the application to the App Store? That would mean that Apple are re-distributing the application, which doesn't seem to necessarily fall under the same area as distributing.

Secondly, Apple have made their terms of service very clear in the license agreement. If an application is submitted to the App Store, does Apple not have the right to expect that the developer has obtained the necessary permission to distribute the application on the App Store? I think it's a little rude to expect Apple to chase down the potential license holders for every single app placed on the App Store and check that they are ok with that?

Sure, there are some things regarding Apple TOS that I would like to see changed, and maybe they will, but as others have said, using this potential violation of the GPL as an excuse to target Apple and it's App Store policies is a bad way to go about it and makes those involved look opportunistic.

A somewhat concerned user of VLC (and VLC for iPad),

Stephen