[vlc-devel] LibVLC API suggestions

Rémi Denis-Courmont remi at remlab.net
Wed Sep 1 17:52:06 CEST 2010

On Wed, 1 Sep 2010 13:27:05 +0200, "Pierre d'Herbemont"
<pdherbemont at free.fr> wrote:
>> 4. Of course it would be nice to be able to call the API from inside
>> an event callback (ex, do a play from inside the reached end
>> callback), but I understand that this ain't as simple as it sounds.
>
> We have an internal API and badly named API for this:
> libvlc_event_attach_async(). This could be somehow made public.
> However it spawns a thread per observed object in its current
> implementation.

It's not that simple. If the event callbacks were called from a dedicated
thread, then there would be no warranty that the event is still "valid" at
the time when it is delivered to the application. Depending on the event
and what the applications wants to do with it, it can be a totally fine or
a severe issue.

http://www.remlab.net
http://fi.linkedin.com/in/remidenis