[vlc-devel] vlc debuging

yanwei liu yanw.liu at gmail.com
Fri Sep 10 03:41:45 CEST 2010

Hello, experts,

I currently implement H.264 RTP streaming. I implemented the function
of sending RTP  for H.264 compressed video file and transmitted the
rtp packets over UDP,  the client receive the rtp and play the video
using vlc player.

The specific operation flow is as follows. I first start up the vlc
media player and open a sdp file, and then start up the server to send
rtp packets. Actually the server has defined the information of sdp
file. The vlc media player then can display the video. When the video
is not encoded with multiple slice mode, it is can be played well.
That is, one frame is packed into one packet. However, when the video
is encoded with mujltiple slice mode, (one slice is packed into one
packet) the vlc only show the Intra frame. I coded the video with IPPP
structure. GOP size is to 10.

When vlc player opens the offline h.264 compressed video file with
slice mode coding, it can also play the video. I used the vlc 1.0.3.

Do you encounter the similar problem? It will be very appreciated if
you can give some suggestions.

Currently, I want to gdb the vlc code to solve this problem. I has
found some functions in live555.cpp and video.c are performed.
However, I need investigate the specific flow of the vlc program to
compete the the chain from video rtp receiving to video playing. I am
puzzled that where I can understand the code and debug it. Through the
gdb vlc code, I know that the program includes many threads and
plugins.  How I debug into the code section of the threads and
plugins.

Any suggestions and directions are welcome!

Thanks!

--
Best Regards,
Joshua