[vlc-devel] LTO Support for VLC source code!

Måns Rullgård mans at mansr.com
Mon Sep 27 00:42:46 CEST 2010

Toralf Niebuhr <niebuhr at niebuhrt.de> writes:

> Am 25.09.2010 um 06:41 schrieb Rémi Denis-Courmont:
>
>>   Hello,
>>
>> On Friday 24 September 2010, xxcv wrote:
>>> Hello All!!
>>>
>>> Yesterday I succeeded in compilation VLC 1.1 Branch with new GCC 4.5
>>> feature LTO -flto.
>>> I was overwhelmed !!!
>>
>> That's great... but what's lto anyway?
> Link-Time optimization.
> Its a more powerful technique the usual.

LTO is mainly useful on badly structured (usually C++) code with
millions of tiny functions scattered across different files.  For
well-structured applications, LTO as implemented in gcc can even be
harmful.  This should come as no surprise to those familiar with the
overall quality of gcc optimisations, particularly the more exotic
ones.

--
Måns Rullgård
mans at mansr.com