[vlc-devel] [PACKAGERS] [RFCv2] PulseAudio removal

Adrian Glaubitz glaubitz at physik.fu-berlin.de
Thu Apr 7 23:48:43 CEST 2011

Hi,

On Apr 7, 2011, at 11:30 PM, Pierre Ynard wrote:

>> Every single major Linux distribution uses PulseAudio by default.
>
> I didn't know that Debian switched to PulseAudio, when did that happen?
> Or maybe it doesn't count as a major distro. It makes me feel like such
> a nerd for using it :(

apt-get install pulseaudio

Add file ~/.asoundrc:

pcm.pulse {
    type pulse
}

pcm.!default {
    type pulse
}

ctl.!default {
    type pulse
}

Log out from GNOME, log in again and enjoy hassle-free sound with PulseAudio =).
I've been using PulseAudio on Debian for quite a while now without any
problems. True, Debian doesn't install PulseAudio by default, but it doesn't even install
a desktop by default. You can't compare Debian to Ubuntu or Fedora in this regard,
it is in fact a distro for advanced users or nerds, as you refer them to =).

PS: The above file makes sure that all ALSA output will be redirected to PA, so there's
no need to kill PA like Rémi suggested when VLC is supposed to use ALSA.

Adrian