[vlc-devel] RAOP/Airtunes

Rémi Denis-Courmont remi at remlab.net
Fri Apr 8 12:18:08 CEST 2011

    Hello,

On Fri, 8 Apr 2011 14:36:45 +1000, James Laird <jhl at mafipulation.org>
wrote:
> VLC has had RAOP output for a while; is there interest in RAOP input as
> well?

Reception from a "push" protocol does not really fit into VLC. This has
already proven to be an issue for JACK before RAOP. You need some kind of
server/daemon running, ready to receive data from a RAOP client. VLC cannot
practically do that given its playlist and input model.

However, VLC can hook to the server when the VLC user chooses to, and then
process the data into the VLC pipeline. Alternatively, the server can use
LibVLC as its back-end for decoding and output.

> I've extracted the Airport Express RSA private key that is necessary to
> implement this.

On working around DRM, see
http://lkml.indiana.edu/hypermail/linux/kernel/0307.1/2019.html

A pure VLC implementation of RAOP reception would have major usability
challenges as I tried to explain above. Thus, it would not be widely used.
And thus, the hot potato would more of a disadvantage for our distributors.

On that topic, I would like to note that DVD CSS is _not_ included in the
VLC source code. And then iDRMS requires the user to install his/her own
keys from iTunes; I also believe it is out-of-date unmaintained and we had
agreed to remove it from VLC.

http://www.remlab.net/