[vlc-devel] [RFC] http post

Jakub Wieczorek fawek at fawek.net
Sun Apr 10 21:02:59 CEST 2011

Hi,

My €0.02 (I'm the one who worked on the last.fm access module):

My stance at this point is that using curl is probably a worse idea
than I thought it was:
1. It doesn't integrate very well (the need for buffering etc.).
2. It's another big dependency (it has support for many protocols,
whereas I just needed HTTP).
3. It had some threading issues which I'm not sure all have been solved.

I think, for the time being, in the case of the last.fm module, the
best idea would be to look into sharing code between that module and
the audioscrobbler one. In fact, these are the only two C modules that
need to speak POST, AFAICS. I think that's going to be the most
practical solution. I would be willing to work on this in the near
future.

Once these two last.fm-related modules share the API communication
code, it looks like I shouldn't really worry about the DRY problem
until there is another C module at the horizon, which would also use
HTTP in a non-standard way, which I don't think there is?

Best regards,
Jakub Wieczorek