[vlc-devel] [vlc-commits] ALSA: trust ALSA-lib to convert the sample formats

Rémi Denis-Courmont remi at remlab.net
Thu Apr 14 14:24:16 CEST 2011

On Wed, 13 Apr 2011 19:36:06 +0200 (CEST), git at videolan.org (Rémi
Denis-Courmont) wrote:
> vlc | branch: master | Rémi Denis-Courmont <remi at remlab.net> | Wed Apr
13
> 20:16:48 2011 +0300| [f4585b92df5ea734a830518345bdb41a18fe8163] |
> committer: Rémi Denis-Courmont
>
> ALSA: trust ALSA-lib to convert the sample formats

If you have hard-coded a device name in your VLC preferences, and the
corresponding device does not support 'float' samples, this will break. So
be sure to review your configuration before you whine that this broke your
audio.

Note that old (VLC <= 1.1) ALSA device names were dangerous, as they
depended on the device probing order, so going through the preferences
again is a good idea. That being said, I'd recommend leaving the default
device, unless you really really need to use something else.

http://www.remlab.net/