[vlc-devel] libvlc issue: how to determine which char* results should be freed?

Olivier Aubert olivier.aubert at liris.cnrs.fr
Mon Apr 18 22:15:37 CEST 2011

Hello

This is a question to VLC devs, not directly python-related.

I am integrating the patch proposed in the report below. However, I have
an issue when trying to determine an appropriate rule for freeing char*
results. The following libvlc functions return a char*. From a quick
overview, the result of the first 5 functions should not be freed, since
they are statically allocated, while the rest should:

libvlc_errmsg
libvlc_get_version
libvlc_get_compiler
libvlc_get_changeset
libvlc_event_type_name

libvlc_media_discoverer_localized_name
libvlc_media_get_mrl
libvlc_media_get_meta
libvlc_video_get_aspect_ratio
libvlc_video_get_crop_geometry
libvlc_video_get_marquee_string
libvlc_audio_output_device_longname
libvlc_audio_output_device_id
libvlc_vlm_show_media

Short of reading the source code, there is no way to determine which
return values should be freed and which should not. Only the
libvlc_video_get_aspect_ratio specifies in its comment that "the result
must be released with free() or libvlc_free()".

To address the freeing issue, I can either hardcode the function names
in the python generator (as proposed in the patch), or find a way to
appropriately decorate/comment the functions so that the include parser
can get the information.

The second approach looks cleaner to me, since new functions, if
appropriately documents, would be properly wrapped without having to
also modify the python generator. Moreover, it also documents the
behaviour for other libvlc users.

Are there any opinions on this? And any advice on how to best
decorate/comment this behaviour?

Regards,
Olivier