[vlc-devel] DXVA for MPlayer

Georgi Petrov gogothebee at gmail.com
Tue Apr 19 10:46:06 CEST 2011

On Tue, Apr 19, 2011 at 8:15 AM, Jean-Baptiste Kempf <jb at videolan.org> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> On Mon, Apr 18, 2011 at 05:47:51PM +0300, Georgi Petrov wrote :
>> VLC is one of the few open source media players with a working DXVA
>> implementation. I've started implementing DXVA for MPlayer some time
>> ago and it turned out harder than I thought. I'll be happy if some of
>> you have a little time and drop a suggestion or just forward this mail
>> to interested developers you might know.
>
> It is hard. And this is an understatement.
>
> But for example, in VLC, we don't use EVR, and we only use DxVA2. Maybe
> you can give it a thought.

Hello,

Before the development started, there was a discussion whether we
should use the the read-back approach of VLC or direct rendering
through EVR like MPC-HC. As I want to achieve top performance and
there is no need of post processing (applying filters on the decoded
frames), I decided to use EVR and render directly on the screen.
However once EVR is initialized I don't think that it will be so
complicated, because FFmpeg (which MPlayer uses internally for
decoding) have already implemented DXVA 2.0 output. I will have to
"link" it to EVR. As I understand, FFmpeg will supply me with DXVA
suitable frames, which EVR can accept directly. I will have to fill a
structure with the needed parameters for each frame (as I remember)
and the EVR will render it on the screen.

I know this sounds oversimplified, but by looking at VDPAU sources it
doesn't seem too much work, considering that FFmpeg has done the hard
part.

Do you have any suggestions or can you point me at somebody, who might
be helpful? I really want to make this project happen :)

Greetings,
Georgi