[vlc-devel] Audio problem: latest git always tries S/PDIF?

Juha Jeronen juha.jeronen at jyu.fi
Sat Apr 23 22:22:37 CEST 2011

Hi,

On 04/21/2011 06:19 PM, Rémi Denis-Courmont wrote:
>    Hello,
>
>> Also, noticed now that when the device is forced, the VLC volume slider
>> seems to have no effect on the audio output level. SOFTVOL doesn't
>> affect this either way.
>>
>> Is there anything I could do to help trace this?
> I have no idea. If the volume is not working, then the bug is likely in the
> VLC core

The volume slider works when the default device is used, so I think
there are two possibilities:

1) It's something specific to the ALSA output, or

2) It does actually work even when the device is forced, but the sound
is clipping so much that there is no audible effect. On the other hand,
I think setting it to 0% didn't mute the sound...

I might do more tests later. It would be nice to get this working to
e.g. support setups with multiple sound cards (where the ALSA default
might not be what the user wants).

For now, however, there are probably more pressing matters to attend to :)

> (the audio core is full of bugs, the code is hard to grasp and almost
> any attempt to fix something breaks something else).

I see.

Thanks :)

 -J