[vlc-devel] GSoC students

Jean-Baptiste Kempf jb at videolan.org
Mon Apr 25 17:48:24 CEST 2011

Hello,

The students project will be announced very soon.

As usual, some people will complain, so, for once, I will explain before.

Quality of application was poorer than previous year.

We got almost no idea outside of the scoped ideas... Noone spoke about
extensions management, noone suggested some things with device
synchronisation, cloud projects were almost not detailed, noone spoke
about blu-ray or MVC!

Of course, some applications were very good, like zgreg one:
http://www.google-melange.com/gsoc/proposal/review/google/gsoc2011/grigorig/1
Complete, clearly explained, early submitted, present on IRC, responsive
to the questions...

Of course, it isn't the only one, but in general, very good applications were rare.

Crappy applications were as current as previous year, but the middle
applications were not as good and not as detailed as previously...

Now, to the main point: as the core developers of VLC are more and more
rare and more and more busy, the strongest selection bias was the autonomy
of the student: a student that needs little mentoring was more likely to
get selected.
It means that some students got selected because they were already part
of the community. It also means that some good students were not
selected because of lack of correct mentoring (I am especially thinking
about some audio and subtitles idea). I am very sorry for those
students, but I cannot make wonders...

The second important rejection reason was because some students that
seemed really good did not answer on the webapp or did not submit
qualification tasks in time...
Guys, you might be good, but if we can't check, you will not get
selected.

And once again, we got 0 female applicants!

Best Regards,

--
Jean-Baptiste Kempf
http://www.jbkempf.com/ - +33 672 704 734