[vlc-devel] metadata in sout

Rémi Denis-Courmont remi at remlab.net
Tue Aug 2 08:33:19 CEST 2011

On Mon, 1 Aug 2011 23:22:14 -0400, Rafaël Carré <rafael.carre at gmail.com>
wrote:
> Le Mon,  1 Aug 2011 23:17:35 -0400,
> Rafaël Carré <rafael.carre at gmail.com> a écrit :
>
>> (VLC doesn't write tags in sout it seems).
>
> It should be doable from file access output:

str_format() does not really work here:
 - if VLM is used, it will take the meta data from the playlist,
 - if sout-keep is used, it will take the meta data from the first item,
 - if LibVLC is used, it will not get any meta data.

Furthermore, I would rather not redefine existing sout parameters to be
formatted, as it breaks backward compatibility, and makes scripting hard.

(...)

> Now, how can we forward meta data to this module?

I would need the meta data in the audio output, and face a similar issue.
I guess the only clean way involve notifying the ES output when meta data
change, and from there to sout and aout.

http://www.remlab.net/