[vlc-devel] Porting VLC to NaCl

Rémi Denis-Courmont remi at remlab.net
Fri Aug 19 09:50:28 CEST 2011

    Hello,

On Fri, 19 Aug 2011 02:00:59 +0100, The Configurator
<configurator at gmail.com> wrote:
> Has anyone considered porting VLC to run on NaCl?

Not that I know.

(...)
> what are the minimum possible requirements for building,

In principles, it only needs a (rather complete) C run-time. Currently,
the core expects either POSIX or Win32.

> assuming I have no external libraries?

I suppose NaCl will require custom video and audio outputs, which should
fit very naturally as VLC platform-specific plug-ins. But decoding is
offloaded to third party libraries, such as FFmpeg or libav. VLC can be
built without those, but it's very useless.

> In other words, what libraries are essential which ones can I
> get rid of?

As a reference, the following libraries are required on Linux:
libc (including socket/resolv), libm (math), libpthread, librt, libdl and
libiconv.

In other words, it does not really need anything other than POSIX.

> I'm fine with it not being able to decode anything
> as a first step for example. So what do I need to do to create a minimum
build?

Best regards,

http://www.remlab.net/