[vlc-devel] Smooth Streaming

Frederic YHUEL fyhuel at viotech.net
Fri Aug 19 14:49:17 CEST 2011

On Fri, Aug 19, 2011 at 1:14 AM,  <cmueller at itec.uni-klu.ac.at> wrote:
> Have you installed the DASH plugin correctly?

Yes I have, and it works well.

> The output doesnt look like that.

It's only part of the output, and I don't get this messages with a
normal MPD file.

> Anyway its not possible to simply pipe MS Smooth Streaming fragments into
> VLC because they do not use a initialization segment with a "ftyp" and
> "moov" box as recommended in the iso base media format standard in Annex
> C.7. The first segment of a MS Smooth Stream which is in your example
> "http://mediadl.microsoft.com/mediadl/iisnet/smoothmedia/Experience/BigBuckBunny_720p.ism/QualityLevels(350000)/Fragments(video=0)"
> just contain a "moof" and "mdat" box because it is a fragment ;).

Ok I understand now... Thank you very much for your explanation !

What I still don't understand is why the Smooth Streaming server
doesn't send this initialization segment, but I have to get a better
understanding of containers.

> So what
> you can do is create an init segment for that stream or init the demux
> with the information from the manifest file by yourself.

Do you happen to have links to documentation that could explain how to
do that ? I didn't find good doc about MP4 / ISOFF in general. Maybe
should I play with MP4Box to get a better understanding to this
container ?

Thank you again,

--
Frédéric Yhuel