[vlc-devel] Encrypting x264 data...

Peter Tap ptrtap at yahoo.com
Mon Aug 22 05:39:22 CEST 2011

Folks,

For the project I am working on, I need to create a new container format, encrypt x264 data and store it. This file can only be played through vlc and I need to provide on-the-fly decryption.

I have downloaded and built vlc code. I have also gone through various documentation pages. However, I am still confused on where to start. I would appreciate it if someone can help me with the following questions:

1. How to write a new container module?
2. I need to use x264 module internally. I need to integrate with it such that each block that x264 decodes needs to be decrypted first and passed on to x264 decoder. I am wondering what would be a good way to achieve this?
3. Although I have built vlc source and vlc seems to run correctly, I am a bit confused about where the source files for each module really is. For example, when I look under contrib/src/x264, I don't see any .h or .c files. I need to debug and step through x264 code. How can I achieve this? Note that during the initial ".configure" step, I did specify enable-debug as a flag.

Also, may be there is a simpler way of what I am trying to achieve. Perhaps I can just hook into x264 decoding mechanism. Is this possible?

Thank you in advance for your help.

Regards,
Peter