[vlc-devel] Encrypting x264 data...

Rémi Denis-Courmont remi at remlab.net
Mon Aug 22 14:39:50 CEST 2011

On Mon, 22 Aug 2011 14:08:38 +0200, Jean-Baptiste Kempf <jb at videolan.org>
wrote:
>> Static DVB-CSA key is weak as far as I know. That's the only thing VLC
>> supports.
>
> Yep. But I would guess it is easier and more clever to add dynamic keys
> to the existing code than writing a new encryption
> scheme/demuxer/decoder/whatnot...

Well... if you're going to use TS anyway and you're happy with the short
key size, that might do.

But IMHO, best thing to do is to create a dedicated stream_filter. Then
the crypto is independent of both demuxers and codecs. Alternatively, write
a codec that only decrypts and then proxies the decoding through a normal
codec.

http://www.remlab.net/