[vlc-devel] "file://localhost/" handling in input.c on win32

Michael A. Puls II shadow2531 at gmail.com
Wed Aug 24 01:32:00 CEST 2011

On Tue, 23 Aug 2011 12:19:52 -0400, Rémi Denis-Courmont <remi at remlab.net>
wrote:

> Le mardi 23 août 2011 00:43:38 Michael A. Puls II, vous avez écrit :
>> > VLC follows the standard defined by Microsoft for file:// URIs.
>>
>> 5.3.3. in RFC3987 mentions this "localhost" issue generally and says
>> that
>> it can be equivalent to an empty domain.
>
> Maybe. I was referring to the MSDN specification of file:, which
> explicitly
> maps URIs with a hostname to SMB. I was not referring to the OS-agnostic
> IETF
> specification, which does not really define how to interpret the
> hostname.

O.K.

>> The code I mentioned in input.c seems to recognize the general issue.
>
>> > This is an Opera bug in my opinion. Local files are supposed to be
>> > specified without a host name.
>>
>> Opera's file URI handling throughout its codebase uses
>> "file://localhost/"
>> per the rfc mentioned above. They do not consider it a bug. It's
>> intentional.
>>
>> Given all that, would you be willing to work around it, even if you
>> don't
>> agree with Opera?
>
> If you mean me, I don't really fancy working on issues affecting a
> proprietary
> browser that I don't use on a proprietary operating system that I don't
> use.

O.K.

> But I think this issue was already fixed a while ago in VLC 1.2.

Hmm, just checked and it doesn't appear to be fixed in the 1.2 nightly
builds at least. (Tested with vlc-1.2.0-git-20110818-0002-win32 because
the latest doesn't open when passed command-line arguments)

I'll just create a vlc_proxy.exe for Opera that converts file://localhost/
to file:///

--
Michael