[vlc-devel] Dash Access Plugin status ?

Rémi Denis-Courmont remi at remlab.net
Wed Aug 24 16:03:05 CEST 2011

On Wed, 24 Aug 2011 14:00:33 +0200, Rémi Duraffort <ivoire at videolan.org>
wrote:
>> > if I remember correctly, the main issue was the fact that the dash
>> > library is integrated inside vlc source code where it does not
belong.
>> > I should be a seperated library that vlc uses.
>> > Then only modules/stream_filter/dash/dash.cpp should be merged inside
>> > vlc source tree.
>>
>> Why?
>
> I don't see why we must include the whole library source code inside vlc
> source tree just for a module. That's a contrib IMHO.

What do you mean by "library"? The VLC tree already ahs Apple live
streaming input and output, Microsoft media streaming input and output, a
(disabled) input for RTMP, an output for Apple AirPort and the RTP/RTSP
output. And if you have a problem with large plugins, Qt4, skins2 and Atmo,
MKV (input only!) are damn large as well.

On the other hand, the RTSP input is external through live555, which has
caused more problems than it has solved. Even if there was a library, how
do you integrate correctly with the VLC network API?

http://www.remlab.net/