[vlc-devel] [RFC, PATCH] configure: Do not stop configure if component is not found.

Georgi Chorbadzhiyski gf at unixsol.org
Thu Dec 1 11:47:14 CET 2011

Around 12/01/2011 09:04 AM, Rémi Denis-Courmont scribbled:
> On Thu, 01 Dec 2011 03:32:44 +0200, Georgi Chorbadzhiyski <gf at unixsol.org>
> wrote:
>> I'm compiling vlc on a server with only minimal needed components
>> (libav, decklink, a52, x264) and without adding bunch of --disable-xxx
>> options configure stops with error on several occasions. IMHO if
>> component is not requested via --enable-xxx the configure should
>> mark it as not found and go on. The attached patch does this for
>> the components that I do not have but are generating errors.
>
> It is far too easy to build a completely useless VLC with that approach.
> For instance, it is completely unreasonable NOT to fail by default if XCB
> is missing on Linux.
>
> So I am very much against your proposal.

I can understand your point about xcb (and maybe alsa), but surely
dbus-control (I do not have dbus at all), lua (not needed) and a52 (just
warn possibly?) are not vital to vlc being usable.

--
Georgi Chorbadzhiyski
http://georgi.unixsol.org/