[vlc-devel] Video XP bug on VLC 1.2

Jean-Baptiste Kempf jb at videolan.org
Thu Dec 8 02:27:51 CET 2011

So, tonight, I took quite some time to understand what was
happening on the #5527 bug, meaning no video or very few video, with a
very strong deadlock on Windows XP.

As you might know, this was one of biggest issue of VLC 1.2.x on

So, tonight, I installed XP, and that took a few hours (3 or so, even
starting from SP3 MSDN) to have a working setup (using the new HDD
bought for the white Macbook) on my desktop machine.

Audio was crashing quite a lot, but with --no-audio, reproduction of the
bug was quite easy to get.

Trying all the video output changed barely anything...

Then, I remembered the issues we were having with the webplugin, and I
deactivated the -mt of libavcodec... Forcing the thread-count to 1 fixed
it, indeed.

Therefore, updating to latest libavcodec (after the win32 thread commit)
+ a full contribs recompile, fixed it partially for me:
 - Usually, it works. Sometimes, it doesn't. Sometimes in the same
   instance, it works, then not.
 - Seeking is a way to kill it quite often.
 - Deactivating audio helps, but doesn't make it working all the time.
 - Forcing 2 threads (on a QuadCore) makes it less bad, but not

Here is the report I could make.

Patches and cool ideas are welcome.
I can help testing now.

Jean-Baptiste Kempf
http://www.jbkempf.com/ - +33 672 704 734
Sent from my Electronic Device

More information about the vlc-devel mailing list