[vlc-devel] [videolan] about Lua in VLC

Rémi Denis-Courmont remi at remlab.net
Tue Feb 8 16:45:19 CET 2011

On Tue, 8 Feb 2011 12:43:56 -0200, Luiz Henrique de Figueiredo
<lhf at tecgraf.puc-rio.br> wrote:
> I'm a member of the Lua team and we're very glad that VLC uses Lua!
>
> I just wondered why you use still Lua 5.1 and not Lua 5.1.4, which
> is the latest release of 5.1? Lua 5.1.4 fixes several bugs since the
> original release of 5.1 in 2006:
> 	http://www.lua.org/bugs.html
>
> % ident VLC.app/Contents/MacOS/plugins/liblua_plugin.dylib
>      $Lua: Lua 5.1 Copyright (C) 1994-2006 Lua.org, PUC-Rio $

That's up to the MacOS porter. In principles, VLC uses whatever Lua (5.1)
version is provided by the distribution.

> % ident /usr/local/bin/lua
>      $Lua: Lua 5.1.4 Copyright (C) 1994-2008 Lua.org, PUC-Rio $
>
> Also, did you change Lua in any way that may be interesting to us?

We can't change it, as much as it comes from the distributions, and they
provide your version (with their changes of their own maybe).

http://www.remlab.net
http://fi.linkedin.com/in/remidenis