[vlc-devel] [vlc-commits] Win32: revert to old rc interface

Rémi Denis-Courmont remi at remlab.net
Tue Feb 15 21:47:51 CET 2011

Le lundi 14 février 2011 14:11:52 Rémi Duraffort, vous avez écrit :
> > Shouldn't we kill LUA RC for good (on all platforms) ?
>
> IMHO no.
>
> > The only proponent (Dionoea) has practically left the project. So there
> > is no point holding our breath for completion.
>
> Luarc still does have more bugs than the classical rc interface but IIRM
> it does have more features.
> Moreover if we want to merge telnet and rc one day it will be easier in
> lua than in C.

I don't buy that. The main issues with merging are, as far as I can tell:
- conflicts in the syntaxes of telnet and remote control,
- lack of separation between the input/output and the interpreter,
- lack of design in general.

Instead of implementing two commands interpreters (LUA VLM and LUA RC) and two
input/output (socket and console), the two interfaces were written as two
incomplete rewrite of the C ones. Thus, instead of addressing the bugs and
code duplication, it made things just worse.

And then, I do believe that separating I/O and parsing is easier in C than in
LUA. First, the module bank is not accessible from LUA. Second, I/O
multiplexing and event handling is far easier in C, than in LUA.

To add pain to injury, the LUA interfaces were promoted, and the native
interfaces marked deprecated, way before they were feature-equivalent. And
then, the author ran away. Oh sure, old RC was poorly written. But it does not
look like LUA RC is that well written either.

http://www.remlab.net/
http://fi.linkedin.com/in/remidenis