[vlc-devel] [patch] [LUA HTTP] adding file:// to the Input field

erik esaule at bmi.osu.edu
Tue Feb 22 15:50:16 CET 2011

On Tue, Feb 22, 2011 at 02:55:52PM +0100, Rémi Denis-Courmont wrote:

> On Tue, 22 Feb 2011 08:10:10 -0500, Erik Saule <esaule at bmi.osu.edu> wrote:
> >> A few counter examples:
> >>
> >> "/home/user/My Music/Track #1.flac"
> >> -> "file:///home/user/My%20Music/Track%20%231.flac"
> >>
> >> "E:\My Music"
> >> -> "file:///E:/My%20Music"
> >>
> >> So I very much doubt that this patch is correct.
> >
> > Do you mean that spaces in the name would be an issue ?  I just tried
> > with a file name "/home/erik/tst/foo foo.ogv", the verbose option of
> > vlc indicates it tries to read:
> >
> > [0x19d4620] main input debug: Creating an input for
> > 'file:///home/erik/tst/foo foo.ogv'
>
> That's not a valid URI.

Do we agree that it currently works with that file name ? ( it looks
like an invalid URI but the video still loads )

> > and the file plays correctly.
> >
> > Am I missing your point ?
>
> You are. It's more complicated. As shown in the examples.

Do you mean that building a valid URI is more complicated than adding
file:// or do you mean that in some cases, file:// should not be
prefixed ?

If the former, then the patch is valid: It fix some cases. I
understand it does not solve them all. For instance bug 4515 I
reported yesterday shows an improper behavior is the presence of
quotes. And I understand from your message that spaces should be
converted to %20 as in URLs. I can try produce a valid URI in
javascript and submit another patch.

If the later, can you point me to a case where file:// should not be
prefixed ? I believe if the path is relative, then file:// should not
be prefixed. However, it looks like the lua http interface never use
relative path.

--
Dr Erik Saule
Post Doc in BioMedical Informatics in OSU