[vlc-devel] Preparing for change

Rémi Denis-Courmont remi at remlab.net
Wed Feb 23 18:32:26 CET 2011

	Hello all,

As you most probably already know, Nokia Oyj announced a rather radical change
of its mobile phone business strategy a few days ago. This potentially affects
our project from (at least) two sides.

Firstly, this means the Qt framework will soon not anymore be the developer
platform for Nokia smartphones. Fortunately, there are no significat changes
planned (that I know) in terms of Qt for desktops. I believe speculation on
longer terms changes, as we have no credible way to predict the IT world. At
least I don't and I will refrain from speculating on this topic.

VLC will never be ported to Windows Phone 7 at the current rate since the
licenses are explicitly incompatible. So the absence of Qt on the Microsoft
phone platform is a non-issue for us.

Secondly, I will have to change work position sooner rather than later. The
MeeGo department at Nokia, where I currently work as a software developer, is
to be slimmed and repurposed. I don't know yet what will come next for me, or
if I even will have a position at Nokia. Either way, it is likely that my
involvement in the VideoLAN project is affected in one direction or the other.

I could just vanish overnight like too many former developers have more or
less done in the past. Admittedly, they did not necessarily have much choice.
Still that doesn't seem very optimal to me, hence this email. So if someone
expects me to finish something, especially before VLC 1.2, please let me know.
This also applies if you need some explanations of any kind.

In the mean time, I hope to be able to continue as "normal".

Sorry for bothering you with slightly personal issues,
Best regards,

http://www.remlab.info/
http://fi.linkedin.com/in/remidenis