[vlc-devel] What to do about VLC scams?

Rémi Denis-Courmont remi at remlab.net
Thu Feb 24 15:00:25 CET 2011

On Thu, 24 Feb 2011 14:42:35 +0100, Jean-Baptiste Kempf <jb at videolan.org>
wrote:
> VLC scams are now very numerous, and seeing that the number of people
> downloading VLC increases but not the number of visits on the website, I
> would say that this is becoming a very important share of our downloads.

> Here is what I suggest:
>  - translate VideoLAN website in different languages, even if only the
>    main pages.
>  - disallow any redistribution of a different installer on Windows, that
>    the genuine one, under the VLC name.

Where do you own the trademark?
Won't this piss of legitimate downstream distributors?

>  - kill sf and get back to mirrors, but select only high-end mirrors
>    (1000MB/s, 20GB space, Rsync at minimum 1 per day/ 3per day
>    recommended).

We should remove probably the master server from the list (Debian has been
doing this for ages). I am fed up with our infrastructure collapsing at
every release. We could even disallow FTP access to the Windows binaries if
needed (rsync only).

In any case, I doubt any of those things, even combined would really
address the problem. Ultimately, you need to convince Adwords and
SourceForge not to allow VLC ads...

http://www.remlab.net
http://fi.linkedin.com/in/remidenis