[vlc-devel] [GCI] last.fm access module

Jakub Wieczorek fawek at fawek.net
Sat Jan 1 02:05:02 CET 2011

Hello,

As a GCI task I've been working on an access module for last.fm radio
stations. It's now reached the stage of being usable and I'd like to
gather some feedback.

The code is browsable here:
http://git.fawek.net/VLC/?h=lastfm-radio-stations
and clonable from here:
git://git.fawek.net/vlc.git

The branch currently requires the libcurl library. That's because I
didn't want to reinvent the wheel and use any lower-level network
concept, in addition the http access module wasn't suitable for this
case due to not supporting POST. If this additional dependency is not
desired, changing the HTTP backend is a matter of modifying one
function, so that's not a big burden.

With this module, tuning in to a last.fm station is a matter of:
vlc lastfm://globaltags/country
vlc lastfm://artist/u2/similarartists
vlc lastfm://user/last.hq/personal
etc.

For that to work, one needs to set their last.fm credentials in the
Audioscrobbler configuration. Moreover, last.fm stations are only
available for subscribers.

Best regards,
Jakub Wieczorek