[vlc-devel] Questions to the community: AribaMC - Overlay-based video streaming plugin for VLC

Rémi Denis-Courmont remi at remlab.net
Thu Jan 6 00:28:06 CET 2011

	Hello,

In my personal opinion...

Le mercredi 5 janvier 2011 15:34:31 Christoph Mayer, vous avez écrit :
> -is it of interest to VLC that such a streaming plugin exists on an
> experimental basis? If we develop it further, we want to be sure that
> the VLC community does support this in general.

I can interpret this question in different ways, which could radically change
the answer. It depends what the unstated alternative(s) are, and whose
interest is in question.

> -are you ok if we further promote this plugin? Or does it go against the
> agenda of the VLC community to have such experimental plugins that are
> lossely coupled with VLC?

1/ Yes, so long as you don't claim it's made by the VideoLAN project.
2/ Not at all, as far as I know.

> -is it possible that on the VLC site there is some link back to the
> AribaMC website (http://www.ariba-underlay.org/wiki/Documentation/VLC),
> maybe in the developers section?

A few issues should be sorted first.

Your 'plugin' really should be a plugin (or several plugins) that can be
dropped into an existing VLC. Currently, you're providing a fully recompiled
VLC which is inadequate. I know it's easier said than done.

The documentation should be updated to VLC 1.1.

You should probably separate development instructions, usage guide and theory
in separate pages.

But I can't promise anything because I am not really responsible for the
official VLC website.

> -we are planning to write an article for a german computer magazine to
> describe the general way to write VLC streaming plugins and our AribaMC
> work in special. Is there some interest from a german-speaking VLC
> developer to cooperate on this? We want to make sure that the contents
> in such an article are in-line with the VLC community and correct from
> the VLC developer's view.

My command of German is pretty bad so I can't help much.

http://www.remlab.net/
http://fi.linkedin.com/in/remidenis