[vlc-devel] 24-bit PCM RTP audio and other RFC 3190 formats

Maciej Szlapka maciej at axiaaudio.com
Thu Jan 6 17:03:17 CET 2011

Dear VLC developers,

I would like to be able to use VLC player to play audio streams which are
IP multicast RTP 24-bit PCM at 48kHz. I learned VLC uses live555 plugin to
play RTP audio described by an .sdp. I talked to Live555 team and learned
they have already added support for RTP payload formats defined in RFC
3190 (this includes audio/L24 I am looking for). This is "LIVE555
Streaming Media" libraries version 2011.01.06.

If VLC is able to decode these audio formats (20-bit linear, 24-bit
linear, and 12-bit nonlinear, respectively), modules_demux_live555.cpp
(the LIVE555 interface code) needs to be modified to recognize whichever
of these formats can be decoded.

Thanks,
Maciej