[vlc-devel] My current development status

Juha Jeronen juha.jeronen at jyu.fi
Sun Jan 9 21:04:05 CET 2011

Hi all,

Since I post... a bit much at times, here's a combined status update of
my proposed VLC changes just so that everyone knows what's going on.

IVTC for hard telecine is, I think, pretty much complete. As I've
already said, it's still not perfect, but at the moment I don't have any
ideas for making it any more accurate. I think it's pretty good as it is
now.

The latest IVTC patch is here:
http://mailman.videolan.org/pipermail/vlc-devel/2011-January/078410.html

As for removing soft telecine, the PTS hack is needed first to make the
input frames have the expected PTSs. Also, although I think that both
modes belong in the same filter, I also think they're different enough
so that making the soft telecine remover a separate patch (which would
go on top of the hard IVTC one) would in my opinion be preferable.

What I want to say with this is that, in my opinion, the IVTC patch is
ready for inclusion into VLC as soon as it passes review. I won't make
any more feature changes to it for now, I promise ;)

The PTS hack and soft field repeat support in the framerate doubling
deinterlacers are, I think, complete. They are currently in need of a
review.

The patches are here:
http://mailman.videolan.org/pipermail/vlc-devel/2011-January/078463.html

I won't make sudden feature changes to these, either ;)

The Phosphor field renderer/deinterlacer is complete, but it requires
the PTS hack, the soft field repeat support, and the IVTC patch (for
ComposeFrame()) as a base. So I think it's better to wait with this one
until the other patches are out of the way.

And finally, soft telecine removal is currently pending development. I
have a plan, but since the IVTC patch may still change (during review),
I think it's better to wait for now.

That's the current status. Thanks for reading :)

  -J