[vlc-devel] update on AppStore situation please

Jean-Baptiste Kempf jb at videolan.org
Mon Jan 10 23:16:44 CET 2011

On Tue, Jan 11, 2011 at 12:11:48AM +0200, Rémi Denis-Courmont wrote :
> Technical measures against copying or device tampering are not forbidden as
> such by GPLv2. In the spirit of the GPL, they should probably be, but that was
> not envisioned. I assume that MobileVLC does not include (L)GPLv3 libraries.
I think it doesn't include such libraries. As far as I've seen on normal
VLC, we don't have yet LGPLv3 dependencies...

> On the other hand, the source delivery must include "the scripts used to
> control (...) installation of the executable" as per GPLv2 §3. I don't know
> if the MobileVLC.git includes said scripts nor how the application installer
> (the iTunes counterpart on the device side) works.
There have the scripts to build the binaries, and the binaries before
submission are on our ftp.
What happens after that is beyond my understanding yet.

> But this is a potential sticking point for _any_ platform with a closed and
> exclusive application installer.
Indeed.

> Add the ambiguity of the usage purpose restrictions... I think it is far saner
> to stick to Cydia for the time being.
Cydia support has been added to the source repository.

> In the mean time, anyone interested can
> ask clarifications from SFLC or whomever they see fit.
I plan to ask clarifications from SFLC and Apple (although I might ask
God and he might answer faster than Apple)

Best Regards,

--
Jean-Baptiste Kempf
http://www.jbkempf.com/