[vlc-devel] libvlc minimum file requirements

antonio meléndez amelendez at sidsa.com
Wed Jan 12 12:24:26 CET 2011

Dear:

I have developed an application in java using libvlc and jna access. It
works properly on windows but I have to migrate it to linux. I don't
know very much about linux, just the basics.

On Windows I have on my app directory a folder that includes libvlc.dll
and libvlccore.dll and the folder plugins with all the required dll's
doing that I assure that the libraries used by my app are the corect
ones and are independent of other vlc versions installed. On Linux I
tried my app installing vlc on system and it works, but I would like to
use the same structure that I'm using on windows for the same reasons.

I've tried copying the plugins directory from /usr/vlc to my app
directory and copying libvlc.so* and libvlccore.so* to the same
directory but the app doesn't find them.

Which is the correct way to do that? Is this possible on Linux? If not,
how can I create my own vlc installation in order to install it with the
app?

Thank you in advance.

Best Regards, Antonio.