[vlc-devel] libvlc minimum file requirements

Juha Jeronen juha.jeronen at jyu.fi
Wed Jan 12 12:50:26 CET 2011

On 01/12/11 13:24, antonio meléndez wrote:

> I've tried copying the plugins directory from /usr/vlc to my app
> directory and copying libvlc.so* and libvlccore.so* to the same
> directory but the app doesn't find them.

About loading libvlc.so* and libvlccore.so* - by default, unlike
Windows, Linux doesn't look for dynamic libraries in the current working
directory. The directories that are searched for dynamic libraries are
listed in the file /etc/ld.so.conf.

To force a particular path for loading dynamic libraries, you can use
the environment variable LD_LIBRARY_PATH (e.g. launch with
"LD_LIBRARY_PATH=. ./your_app" instead of just "./your_app" to force
Linux to look for dynamic libraries in the current working directory).
Doing this isn't really recommended (it's generally considered
preferable to install libraries system-wide), but I think it should do
what you want.

(Other Linux users: feel free to correct me if your opinion differs :) )

See here about dynamic library loading on Linux:
http://tldp.org/HOWTO/Program-Library-HOWTO/shared-libraries.html

  -J