[vlc-devel] XML parsing

Jean-Baptiste Kempf jb at videolan.org
Thu Jan 20 22:44:25 CET 2011

On Thu, Jan 20, 2011 at 11:34:24PM +0200, Rémi Denis-Courmont wrote :
> I complained many times about the hand-coded broken XML parsing in the ASX
> demux. But unfortunately, most of the other XML parsers are quite broken as
> well.
Unfortunately, this isn't news.

> I tried to fix a few memory leaks and simplify the API a little. However, with
> about a thousand lines of reworked code, the probability that I introduced
> regressions is approximately 100%. I simply could not test anything for lack
> of samples.
Thanks for the work :D
And don't de-evaluate your work...

Do you have ideas what needs to be tested ? Heavy skins? Heavy xpsf ?

> Basically, most if not all of the parser are horribly broken in some way. In
Do you have a common list of good-behaviours to check?
What parser was the less bad, so we can take it as example?

> spent already 3 or 4 days reworking this, and the rework is not even finished.
Thanks a lot for doing something this boring...

Best Regards,

--
Jean-Baptiste Kempf
http://www.jbkempf.com/