[vlc-devel] Request: Recognize the ".264" filename suffix (the same way as ".h264")

Ross Finlayson finlayson at live555.com
Fri Jan 21 03:46:02 CET 2011

>On Thu, Jan 20, 2011 at 04:11:02PM -0800, Ross Finlayson wrote :
>>  VLC (v1.1.5) currently recognizes H.264 Video Elementary files with the
>>  filename suffix ".h264".  In future versions, could you please handle the
>>  filename suffix ".264" the same way?
>
>Well, the reason it doesn't is that the h264 demuxer doesn't check
>strongly enough the fact it is or not a .h264 stream. Patches are
>welcome though.

For now, all I was asking is that VLC handle filenames with the
".264" suffix the same way that it currently handles filenames with
the ".h264" suffix.  Yes, better data checking would certainly be a
good idea, but at least for now it would seem reasonable to make the
same 'guess' about a ".264" filename suffix that you currently make
about a ".h264" suffix.
--

Ross Finlayson
Live Networks, Inc.