[vlc-devel] SEO needed for Wiki and/or updates for old pages

Rémi Denis-Courmont remi at remlab.net
Sun Jan 23 18:13:14 CET 2011

Le dimanche 23 janvier 2011 16:40:06 Kaarlo Räihä, vous avez écrit :
> There are many persons who need some guidance before they can use advanced
> features of VLC. And first thing they do is usually to ask help from
> Google. Unfortunately Google doesn't rank Wiki and its new tips/guides
> very high so surfers do land on old pages which just confuse them.

I think the problem would fix itself over time, if only the Wiki was actually
well organized, accurate, updated and complete as a piece of documentation.

The documentation quality was <i>so so</i> back when we had ECP students
writing it for free. We don't have them anymore, and so the documentation was
outsource to the community. That's how it went from not very good to worse.

> So could someone do something for this? Like add HUGE banner to those old
> pages that says there are better guides/tips available at Wiki.

In case you did not notice, Mark Shuttleworth is not a VLC developer, and
Google is not paying us millions a year. But I think advertizing the wiki,
even if it were financially and technically possible, would make no sense
given its current low standards.

http://www.remlab.net/
http://fi.linkedin.com/in/remidenis