[vlc-devel] Why not use ffaac by default?

Marcos Mello marcosfrm at gmail.com
Wed Jun 22 18:39:29 CEST 2011

Jean-Baptiste Kempf <jb <at> videolan.org> writes:

> On Tue, Jun 21, 2011 at 01:58:39PM +0000, Marcos Mello wrote :
> > Currently VLC 1.2.0-git uses FAAD2 for AAC decoding (at least on Windows).
> > libavcodec (ffaac) is said to be much faster
> <ref> ?

Well, I didn't run benchmark tests. I was talking based on what I read about it,
like
http://lists.mplayerhq.hu/pipermail/ffmpeg-devel/2008-August/042594.html
http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.video.mplayer.devel/58039/focus=58093
http://git.videolan.org/?p=vlc.git;a=commit;h=d0a0c3586614563e844b4083f28f96506c58444f

Handbrake also dropped libfaad:
https://trac.handbrake.fr/changeset/3793

> I remember, not long time ago (less than 3 months) that a lot of samples
> were broken.
>
> Try it:
> http://streams.videolan.org/Mpeg_Conformance/ftp.iis.fhg.de/

Not sure if I have knowledge to do that.

Regards,

Marcos