[vlc-devel] DVB card CPU performance

Kaarlo Räihä kaarlo.raiha at gmail.com
Wed Mar 2 13:21:10 CET 2011

2011/3/2 cherqui nawfal <nawfalcherqui at gmail.com>

> I need to capture 8 channels suisse using DVB t card (may be in
> the beginning less channels) So they will be MPEG-TS format transcode them
> to mpeg-4 to reduce their size for less badwith and send them to a multicars
> adress where they can be sent to the clients. This is my project.

I would guess that isn't possible with any cheap machine, since decoding 8
720x576 MPEG-2 streams and encoding them to H.264/MPEG-4 AVC would require
quite much CPU power even if you used baseline H.264/MPEG-4 AVC options (in
that case image quality wouldn't be good). It might be easier to buy few
machines and split the tasks.